Thibault Brunet

 Thibault Brunet is an artist who explores photography through cyberspace. Brunets work is very digital and constructed. His images are usually screenshots of games and items constructed in the digital space. He has also done series exploring France through Google Maps and sometimes would take parts of the images and remove them from their original place to decontextualise them.

Brunets work feels similar to mine as we are both working with places that exist digitally. However where I am then taking these digital places into the physical world he keeps them digital. His work is very much based on landscape but not always a whole landscape, sometimes he only focuses on individual buildings however the way he presents them seems to place them in their own landscape. Taking individual buildings out of their context and placing them in their own landscape gives them a completely different feel. It makes them feel constructed and isolated, like they don't belong in the real, physical work, even though that's where they were from originally.

This work remind me of the landscapes I constructed but placed iconic landmarks in them like the Statue of Liberty. I took the landmarks out of their original photo and re contextualised them by putting thyme into a rural location. 

In another of his series Brunet constructed places in Minecraft, I think this idea is really interesting and it is something I was planning on looking into through using Fusion. I wanted to create digital constructed landscapes. I like the way Brunet keeps quite a lot of his work digital, he doesn't always remove it from this space. However my favourite work of his is his series Ault. It is a book that is made to look like cliffs, you can turn the pages and explore the cliffs in detail. I love this idea and the way it brings a different idea to photography and sculpture but also photo books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Statement

Action Plan