Blog Overview

  1. What are the main written resources you have used to help you develop your work and ideas? List and give a brief summary of their relevance (publications/writers/articles/theories you have focused on over the past year):


Utopia and dystopia – the ideas of perfect and imperfect world and landscapes. Desires that cannot exists, like the collaged landscapes I have created.

The beauty and the sublime – what makes a place or a landscape so desirable and how the framing of a place can change how we see it.

David Bate, Photography: The Key Concepts – the landscape chapter - this talks about the ideas behind the beauty and the sublime and how landscape photography can impact the way we see places

Edge of a Dream, Utopia, Dystopia and contemporary Photography – The relationship between humans and nature and how we have changed nature to benefit our lifestyles. How we have made a lot of areas industrial but are now also trying to add natural elements back into our lives

Utopia | Dystopia Construction and Destruction in Photography and collage – Looking at how collage can show ideas of perfect and imperfect worlds

Palimpsest – looking at the idea of layers and how places can have layers of history and building relationships between times and places.

Most texts I have looked into have been about photography and place because place is a concept I have been looking into but sometimes it is harder to get my head around than I expected. Place is more than just a location and through reading various articles and chapters I have started to realise this.

 

  1. What are the most important other sources you have used for your research? List key exhibitions/videos/talks/events etc and give a brief summary of their relevance:


I found the talk with Ibrahim Azab helped my work as he talked about ways of interacting with work, but also not making it completely obvious. I liked this because I enjoy interacting with the work I have made whether you can tell or not. I think it made me realise more that it is okay to not just leave an image as it is you can go on to add more elements to it, photography doesn’t always need to be a straightforward image.

The exhibition ‘This Must Be The Place’ – this exhibition had a number of artists who explored the ideas of photography and place. It looked at the importance of photography in globalization. This project brough together works from all around the world. Showing how different photographers responded to different places. It felt relevant because it is becoming more apparent that documenting place isn’t just about taking a landscape photograph it is about more than that.

Risd Museum Photography and place exhibition – Again with this exhibition it allowed me to look at the different way in which artists represented place. It is more than just a nice view it is about history and details and culture.

These exhibitions made me think more about peoples relationships with places rather than just trying to represent and show them.

 

  1. From the research developed on your blog and through your practice, outline the key areas (the concepts/themes/theories) of interest have emerged this year? How has this helped with the development of your practice?:


This year I have been interested in looking at the ideas of place and landscape. The relationships between places. I have also been looking at the idea of collage and what is considered to be photography. The ideas of using to photograph as a starting point to create something else in the end has also interested me. I think in my practice I have realised that not everything I make has to be a photograph, other things can be photographic too. For example, sculptures and structures, they can represent ideas of photographs.

The idea of interaction has interested me. You interact with a place when you photograph it and then for me when I create the collages I interact with them again. But by making these collages I am causing different places to interact with each other. Then I have started to interact with the work again after the collage is made by taking it out of its original state and trying to turn it into something else. It feels as though this links well with the idea of palimpsest and the layers of processes that go into the work.

 

4. Any other points you wish to discuss: 

I think my work represents my research well. I was not able to explore digital modelling in the project like I had originally intended to due to delays with my laptop order, however this is something that I would like to look into in FMP. I think that thanks to this I was able to spend more time on other parts of the project that I may have left, for example I think if I had have got properly stuck into the digital modelling then I would not have explored the possibilities of using clay as much as I did. I also feel that where I got up to with the lay pieces have a similar sort of look to them as digital modelling. Although I did miss out on the chance to include the modelling in my work I think it worked in my favour in the end as I spent more time exploring and experimenting with what I had already created.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Action Plan

Artist Statement

Photography and Place - Australian Landscape Photography