Ibrahim Azab

 Azabs work is a mixture of collage, sculpture and photography. His collage work is full of bright colours and different textures, using a mix of found and his own images, exploring ideas of memory. I think these collages look really interesting and I like how you can keep looking at them and not get bored, every time you look you seem to notice something that you didn't before. I like how tactile they look.

One of the series I really liked was Out of Touch. The come across as slight optical illusions. When Azab spoke to us in the lecture he gave I remember him talking about the work. He said he had the original image printed and then placed his hand in the photo so that it made sense and then took the photo. I love this idea, it gives the work an extra element of interaction that might not be completely obvious at first. The method, composition and ideas behind this work is really clever. I like how he has taken his original image, interacted with it and turned it into something else, he has slightly altered the story in the image. I think these photos are even better because you can't tell straight away that they aren't straight forward photos, you have to properly look before you realise the illusion.

I feel as though Azabs work is relevant to mine because of the element of collage but also because of the interaction with the work. The way that the original image has been taken, interacted with and changed slightly. For me when I interact with the work it is usually for presentation purposes but it does change the way people view the image. In Azabs work it adds something to the story and adds another level to the work that people may not realise is there straight away.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thibault Brunet

Artist Statement

Action Plan