Combining Elements

 When I created the plain clay piece my intention was to somehow combine it with my collages, I tried this before by emulsion transfer and also projecting the images. Although these worked it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I have found a way that I think works really well.

I took one of the isolated clay piece images and then layered the collage on top. After this I increased the saturation slightly on the collage and made the clay piece black and white whilst also increasing the contrast. I then lowered the opacity of the collage layer so that the clay piece was showing through. The contours and shadows added texture and depth to the collage. I then cut out around the shape of the clay piece.

This was the first one I made, I didn't like the rough edges.

I feel like this has added a new depth to the collages. it feels as though they have become tactile even though they are still digital. They feel less fragmented and more like an actual piece or place. This feels better than the work where I pulled the sections apart to put them back together, it feels like I am trying to present a place. It reminds me of an artefact you might find or something you might pick up from a gift shop to remind you of a place. It feels like a fragment of a real place rather than fragments of many places making up a place. 

I would love to make these edits physical, or maybe try to convert them into digital models. Also when they are on black background it looks like they are artefacts in a museum under lights, like they are in a cabinet to be looked at. I really like how these turned out, they feel different to the rest of the pieces in this project.








I am not as keen on this one, the contours and shadows in the clay aren't dark enough, although there is a bit of depth you can't really see it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Statement

Action Plan

Thibault Brunet