Block 2 Discussion Group

 Week 1

In week 1 we discussed materiality in photography

-Photography and the Object

-Photography and Installation 

-Photography and the Archive

-Photography and Digital Culture


Week 2

In week 2 we were shown some presentations and asked to respond to one of the tutors ways of working. For me I found Sylvias way of working the most interesting.


Week 3

This week we had to respond to one of the working methodologies in the last weeks presentation. My work for this week is in a different blog post. I responded to the idea of practising place.

Week 4

This week we had to find an image by an artist and create a response to it. I picked an image by Sarah Eisenlohr and responded to that.

The images and research are in previous blog posts.



Week 5

This week we talked about how things that aren't photographic can inspire work, things like: objects, texts, facts, quotes and sculptures. For me I think text or quotes is something that can help inspire work, if someone else describes their relationship with landscape or humanities relationship with nature it helps me to understand my relationship with the natural world. This then inspires me to think of different ways I can explore and represent this relationship. It was interesting to hear how other people used non-photographic items to inspire their work.

Week 6

In this weeks discussion group I presented this slide to the group.

This was the first time this group had properly seen some of the work for my project, not just the work for the discussion group. It was nice to have a fresh set of eyes on my work and hear what some different people had to say. Most people were drawn to the top left photo, the plain clay piece. What was interesting was the scale that people thought it was. It had never occurred to me that people wouldn't be able to gage the size of the piece. It was interesting that it made sense to people in relation to the other images however if they had seen it on its own they would have thought it was a cast of a hand or something similar. These were some of the notes I made.


 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Statement

Action Plan

Thibault Brunet