Picturesque

picturesque
/ˌpɪktʃəˈrɛsk/
adjective
(of a place or building) visually attractive, especially in a quaint or charming way.

h
    I am looking into the idea of the picturesque within my essay 
however, what does it actually mean?
    
    The Tate defines it as:
    'An ideal landscape that has an artistic appeal, in that it is beautiful but also with some elements of  
    wildness'
    
    To me this would suggest a place that is naturally beautiful, untouched by humans, if it has elements
    of wildness then I would imagine this would be natural and not man made.

    https://artmuseum.arizona.edu/events/event/19th-century-landscape-the-pastoral-the-picturesque-and-the-   sublime

The picturesque means a place that is naturally beautiful, untouched by man. It was naturally formed in 
this way.

Does this mean that my images can never be picturesque? Because I have made them, does this mean that 
in fact my photos are actually part of the Pastoral aesthetic?

Picturesque = Natural

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Statement

Thibault Brunet

Action Plan