Square2Square Review

Square2Square was the second project I did in first year. For this project we were confined to one square on a map of Manchester to work in. My square was St. Peters Square just off Oxford road. I visited the square and took a few street photography images but I also realised there was a lot of different architecture in this square. There were also tram lines and wires in the square.

I started off by taking photos of the buildings and physically cutting out spaces between the tramlines, letting these wires decide which bits I got rid of. I then tested out cutting out small sections of the buildings to see how that looked.
 
After this I started folding the photos along the tramlines to turn the photos into more of structure, these looked interesting and I liked the way it wasn't just a flat photo, it changed how you saw the building in the square. I think this is an idea I would definitely try again.


I then started to digitally manipulate the photos, cutting parts out and layering different images on top of each other. Taking photos of the same building from different perspectives and putting them together to create more interesting photos that look real but aren't. Some times I cut out full buildings and places them on top or just cut out between tram lines again.




The artists I looked at in this project were: Espen Dietrichson, Abigail Reynolds, Alma Haser and Thibault Brunet. These artists look at land scape, digital and physical manipulation. I like the way none of them just present a simple photo there has always been a lot of work go into them.


I also looked into the idea of Palimpsest. The idea of having layers and being able to see traces of different eras in one building. New brick combined with remains of old buildings. This was relevant because there were multiple different types of architecture in the square I was looking at.

I tried combining colour and black and white photos physically, cutting them out to reveal something else. I also took photos of the same building from different perspectives and cut them into strips to, layered them together to create a slight weird photo of the building.

I also continued to fold photos and see what structures I could make with the photos and how it changed the way the photo was viewed. There was a large mix of both physical and digital manipulation in this project and I think all the experiments I tried could definitely be taken further and relate a lot to what I want to look into. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thibault Brunet

Artist Statement

Action Plan